1. Did you ever think you’d get people interacting with a hamster the way that you have?
Nope, it has been a delightful surprise! I didn’t have a plan when I started drawing Marvin– I just wanted to participate in the culture of Royal watching in my own way. It’s been so great to have the community welcome Marvin with open arms.
2. What is the trick to making Marvin’s personality come through ?
I try to remember that these are Marvin’s daydreams, so even when he feels very confident in his imagination, sometimes his insecurities show through too, which is okay!
3. Which is your favorite drawing of Marvin?
I like an old one where Marvin tries to attend a garden party groundbreaking, but he’s accidentally shown up at the Alice in Wonderland gardens. He looks so pleased with himself, holding his shovel and waiting for instructions, while the Three of Clubs looks perturbed.
4. How long does it take you, on average, to do a drawing?
I would have guessed an hour, but since you asked me this, I timed the last one and it took over two hours. I guess I just really enjoy it and didn’t realize how much time was passing!
5. What’s it like to have been featured on http://People.com and in People magazine several times?
It’s amazing! In the fourth grade for career day we had to dress up as what we wanted to be when we grew up. I dressed up as a cartoonist– my dad gave me an old white dress shirt and I drew cartoons all over it in marker. To see my cartoons now in a national magazine is just so cool. Bonus Question 6. Would you ever consider creating a Plush Marvin or a coloring book or items other than prints ? I need a Marvin to hug! Yes! I am thinking stickers and postcards will be next. Stay tuned!